Council has decided to use Vote-By-Mail again this election. Voters can fill out their ballots in the privacy and convenience of their own home. Casting a vote is as easy as mailing a letter! |
In October, voters will receive a Voting Kit in the mail containing everything needed to vote by mail. The voter simply follows the instructions in their kit, deposits their ballot in the mail, using the postage paid return envelope, and the ballots will be delivered to the Municipal Office for counting on Election Day. You must be on the Voter's List to receive your mail-in ballot. Please confirm by NO LATER THAN AUGUST 31st, by clicking on the green "Voterlookup.ca" logo on the left side of the screen or by contacting Township staff.
The Municipal Clerk is the Returning Officer for the Election and questions with respect to elections should be directed to the Clerk at 519-692-5148.
NOMINATIONS FOR COUNCIL
Are you interested in running for Municipal Council? Now is the time to get involved in the future of your community by becoming a member of your Municipal Council!
Nomination forms for the offices of (1) Mayor and (4) Councillors will be accepted by the Clerk starting on Tuesday May 1, 2018 and ending on Friday July 27, 2018 @ 2:00 pm. Forms can be filed with the Clerk, in person, at the Municipal Office, 4591 Lambton Line in Rutherford. As of July 11, 2018 the following candidates have submitted their nominations: Alan Broad for the Office of Mayor, July 11, 2018.
CANDIDATES MUST PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION WHEN FILING:
- Nomination Form - nominations must be on the prescribed form and must be presented in person. Emails or faxes will not be accepted;
- A Nomination Filing Fee of $200 for the position of Mayor and a $100 nomination fee for Councillor (cash or debit, certified cheque or money order);
- Proof of ID and Qualifying Address.
The term of office is a (4) four-year term commencing December 1, 2018 and ending on November 14, 2022. All forms including “Candidate Filing Packages” and the “Vote-By-Mail Procedures” may be obtained online or from the Municipal Office.
Note: No person who proposes to be a candidate may solicit or accept contributions for election purposes, or incur expenses, until that person has filed a nomination paper.
School Board Elections: To file nominations for School Board Trustee, please file with the Clerk of the associated municipality:
- St. Clair Catholic District School Board, South Lambton/East Kent – St. Clair Township
- Lambton-Kent District School Board, North Kent & South Lambton – Municipality of Chatham-Kent
- French Language Public School Board - Conseil Scolaire Viamond (Sector 8) – City of Sarnia
- French Language Separate School Board - Conseil Scolaire Catholique Providence (Area 1) – City of Sarnia